主题

好友

积分

项目经理

跳转到指定楼层
发表于 2009-1-24 16:18 |显示全部楼层 |倒序浏览
本帖最后由 guykawasaki 于 2009-3-5 23:28 编辑

刚看完,非常受益,什么也不说了先分享再说。

全文分四大部分,下面是简介,二楼是第一部分。总体还未写完,作者语言风趣诙谐,深入浅出,意犹未尽。文章以案例形式分析寻找工作/实习的各种渠道和tactics。如需最及时最新,或更佳阅读效果,可选择登录作者博客页面:www_hu**gg_com

作者也为中国同胞,海归,拥有咨询顾问,风险投资和创业经验,详情在链接内可见。:)

(To those who are in search of job or have been through the same process back then)

Everynow and then there is a voice saying getting hired is a no-nounder sucha market situation. Yes, it is hard, but there is a way_Successful jobseekers (well, job hunter to be pricise in thissituation) know even intough economic times, there is opportunity. Youjust have to dig it abit deeper, or just one inch deeper than yourpeers. The followingthreads shows how it is going to work.

The following sessions are divided into four core parts (bulletpoint clickable).

• Part I - explains basic things to avoid, and basic skillsets to acquire before a real job searching process
  • Part II-tells some most frequent situation to which most graduatesencounter_Making the right decision would end up saving a ton of timeandprogress towards your career goal
  • Part III-dives into the evangelizing some of the most innovative tool forcareeradvancement, over a long term basis. The immediately effectcould alsobe seen in the short term
  • Part IV-advance and jump to another curve by effectively planning yourcareerright from the very start, from being an undergrad to aspiringfor anMBA, from MBA to an ex-MBA career path, and etc

Here,based on a variety of tricks, techniques and solid skills most in thecollege or even working should know, I would use my favorite Top 10 methodstoensure you won’t miss the focus and save time by jumping ahead ofthecurve or going backwards. The table of content would also help tolocatewhere the focus lies, dependant on your career goal and how youlook atit in the near/long term.

Typically, the following content applies based on my understanding of Finance, Consulting and Fortune 500 types of job. If there is any discrepancy, you are welcome to email me or comment following thread below.
Below is a more concise table of content.

#10 The most ineffective - blindly send out 100+ CVs (with fewer than 5 responses)
#9 The most common  -  Google + job board + forum
#8 The longest process - part-time/freelance work/internship first if you can get a relevant one
#7 The biggest dilemma -  master? delay graduation date to catch another hiring season?

The best way to stand out of your peers over a short period (www_eliteexchange_org) -  pay to win
#5 The most direct - cold call  +  email
#4 The bravest - get your feet in the company + elevator pitch
#3 The most innovative - think social networking tool

#2 The quickest response  - insider referral

#1 The most solid - stack up your belt from the very start

Table of Content
PART I
#10 The most ineffective - blindly send out 100+ CVs (with fewer than 5 responses)
  • Basic things to avoid
  • Target few, and aim high

• Use Google
    • How Google differentiates from other search engines
    • Search Tricks
    • Things beyond
    • A test
  • Boil the Ocean
  • Added Component: from Zero to IPO to exit (worth further research)

#8 The longest process - part-time/freelance work/internship first if you can get a relevant one
  • The “Myth”
    • Q1: When is a good timing for application? (apply to both FT role & internship)
    • Q2: It is not a hiring season yet, where and how can I find a job?
    • Q3: My CV looks great, and I come from a target school. But, why I am not selected even for the first round?
    • Q4: What are the sourcing processes? I am not from a target school, is that a loophole still?
    • Q5: What makes a perfect resume?
  • The “Good”
    • Life is flexible, life is good
    • You will be a well-rounded person
  • The “Bad & the Ugly”
    • You are quarantined from people (but you are not an SARS carrier)
    • My workload vs my payroll
    • Work hard, work hard and work hard
    • Network, network and network

PART II
#7 The biggest dilemma -  master? delay graduation date to catch another hiring season?
  • Is Master really for you, or are you really ready for a Master?
  • Master still good
    • Q1: Isit worthwhile to delay my education just to catchanother hiring season?This way it makes me look like an fresh grad andmy opportunity will beboosted?
    • Q2: Location matters?
      • I am a nativeChinese/other nationalities, I just graduated or onthe process tograduation in the US/UK/AU/Other countries, should Icome back to workin my home country or try to stay when theopportunity from both sideslook slim.
      • I am a Chinese, does location matter alot? What’s my advantage?
      • What else to consider?

#6 The best way to stand out of your peers over a short period -  pay to win
  • Know your competitive advantage
    • Q1: What I am lacking, and how to accrue my possibility of getting hired when time is short
    • Q2: When the market is not hiring, where else exists the opening
    • Q3: Should I use career service
  • Which is worthwhile to take? My pick

PART III
#5 The most direct - cold call  +  email
  • Be in the know
  • Where to find the company list
  • Where do those headhunters live
  • Why headhunters are hated by most
  • How to live with headhunters in your early career

#4 The bravest - get your feet in the company + elevator pitch
  • What makes a successful elevator pitch
  • What makeyou a seemingly acquaitance to the relevant insider
  • What topics to talk about
  • How to make up, and to link things together

#3 The most innovative - think social networking tool
  • Blog yourself, and build your visual CV
  • Open you up to the world
  • Your email address matters
  • Email management and resource sourcing
  • Domino effect. Everything added up and EXPLODE

PART IV
#2 The quickest response  - insider referral
  • Where to find your referral
  • Who can refer
  • What is Email Etiquette? (important across all sections)
  • If you fail even with the referral, then what

#1 The most solid - stack up your belt from the very start
  • How to prepare
  • What to read
  • What to put in the CV
  • How to combine the above to transform your life
  • and etc…

Declaimer: Iam neither an HR nor a career advisor_What I say is my own stuff andnot affiliated with any of the companiesI worked or am working for. Allthe thoughts on this site are mine. Mycompany and its affiliated andpersonnel are not affiliated with thisblog in any way. If youappreciate and would like to forward thecontent, please kindly linkback to the original source.

Any other thought? If yes, please feel free to email me or reply on this thread below.     

Continue Reading ...

首发应届生
+10
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

项目经理

发表于 2009-1-25 10:22 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 guykawasaki 于 2009-1-29 14:13 编辑

This is by no mean the most ineffective way of conducting a jobsearching and most end up with pure vain. You probably have been told ahundred times in career events that “DO NOT make a one-size-fit-all CVor general answers for all your potential employers. The more you sendout, the more your focus will be lost. I am not going to focus on thisas lots of such information can be located at Google.
Is this way ranked #10? #10. NO WAY. Let’ s come down to #9.

Google is effective as a tool if you could really nail it. But 90%of those claiming to know the search wiki do not exactly know it - themechanisms of reaching the least searched info (a.k.a the job postingsfew see) is understood by a handful of people only.

Test: If you are in a foreign country, where somefamous downloading methods are restricted (say, BitTorrent, eMule), canyou locate the a latest picture of your hometown’s 5th famous placewithin 5 mins?

If a job is posted on a job board, you almost can easily assume that10,000 aspired applicants are looking at it like you do, especially forsome hot roles like Investment Banking/Consulting job_Unfortunately,those big powerhouses (i.e. GS, MS, ML-acquired by BOA) are laying offworkforce instead of hiring. The indirect effect also take effect onconsulting job as the industry encounters a wholly meltdown.

The following chart is optional, but believe it or not, it can massively reduce your workload when conducting search.
Search Tricks
Basic   ExampleFinding result   description
olympics   beijingpages contain word olympics and beijing
olympics   or beijingpages contain word nba or jordan
“beijing   olympics”pages contain exact phrase   “beijing olympics“
jordan   -nbapages contain jordan but NOT nba(no space between   “-”and nba)
define:chinese   chessformal definitions of the word chess
from   the internet

Calculation
300   Euros in USDconvert A currency unit into B   unit
World   cup 1994..2010search within a range of   numbers,results from
1994 to   2010

More   Search Operators
yao ming   site:www_nba_comsearch for information about yao   ming within NBA_com
link:www_tongji_edu_cnfind pages that link to Tongji University’s website
book   Winningshow book-related information   about book with the title”Winning“
books   Winningsame as above
phonebook:   Jordan chicagosearch for every   jordan’s phone numbers in chicago if there is any (useful   function in the US)
rphonebook:   Jack new yorksearch for
every jack’s residential number in new york city
movie:   spider-man3information about the movie   “spider-man 3“
stocks:   googgoogle’s   current stock price and related information
cache:www_nba_comdisplay google’s cached version   of the webpage www_nba_com_   When you want the old version of a frequently updated website
info:www_yahoo_comfind information about   www_yahoo_com
related:www_yahoo_com/find similar pages with   yahoo_com
interview tips in   text:microsoftsearch for pages mentioning interview tips where “Microsoft” appear in the text
resume   tips intitle:microsoftsearch for pages mentioning   resume tips where “Microsoft” appear in the title
photoshop   inurl:downloadsearch for pages mentioning photoshop in which download is contained in the URL

Restrict Search to Google   Groups
marketing   author:donald trumpsearch for donald   trump’s article on marketing
group:find groups messages from the   specified newsgroup
insubject:find groups messages containing   keywords in the subject

Restrict   Search to Google News
china   air pollution location:ukfind British articles covering China’s air pollution issue
train   station chaos source:apfind chunyun chaos articles from   Associated Press’s coverage

Search   ServiceSearch Operatotor
Web   Searchallinanchor:,   allintext:, allintitle:, allinurl:, bphonebook:, cache:, define:,
filetype:, id:, inanchor:, info:, intext:, intitle:, inurl:, link:,phonebook:,related:, rphonebook:, safesearch:, site:, stocks:
Image   Searchallintitle:, allinurl:, filetype:, inurl:,   intitle:, site:
Groupsallintext:,   allintitle:, author:, group:, insubject:, intext:, intitle:, msgid:
Directoryallintext:,   allintitle:, allinurl:, ext:, filetype:, intext:, intitle:, inurl:
Newsallintext:,   allintitle:, allinurl:, intext:, intitle:, inurl:, location:, source:
Froogleallintext:, allintitle:, store:
End(Credit of this chart goes to: http://www_isteward_cn)

Boil The Ocean

Besides IB/MC, there are still lots of good rolesopening. You will learn that health care, education, government, foodservices and drinking places, and IT categories have all gained jobsthis year. When searching on the forum, or using Google, do yourcustomized search. All sectors are relevant and one could never livewith only one sector.

From Zero to IPO to Exit Round-up

This part is added content and hence it can be skipped. But it makesa good read and worth further research if you desire to enter abusiness arena.
You can find a seperate post following this link: http://www_hu**gg_com/2009/01/f ... und-up

OK. The first job is utmost important for anyone because you aregoing to spend your most valuable 2-5 years with it. Jumping shipfrequently does not look good and it might discount your value by awrong transfer. If you are not really interested in the job, it is hardto believe you can maintain and ride the corporate ladder over a 2-5years period. You will stress and think about an MBA for futurerotation over the stints.

So, if you really aspire towards a specific industry, for example, finance. You may shoot for a part-time/internship with a BBor a boutique shop to gain solid understanding before hunting for afull-time role. Life is good, you might get a direct hire at the end ofyour internship period.

The ways to grab an internship is vastly different from that ofseeking a full-time position, and it means different things as well_Let’s look at the The “Myth”, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,

The “Myth”

Q1: When is a good timing for application? (apply to both FT role & internship)
NOW! NEVER apply late, and DO apply RIGHT AFTER therelease date of the information. You might argue that some firmevaluate resume only after the cut-off date, but most firms do not_They do it on a rolling basis_You can step in the shoes of the HR, ifyour mailbox were filled with hundreds, and sometimes thousands ofresumes, would you still look at the rest if qualifiedinterns/full-time candidates are spotted. The answer is a firm NO. Inaddition, that indicated you are prepared, you are passionate for theopening of the opportunity and indirectly shows your study of the firm_Those firm applying online application might do it the other way aroundas the backdoor is relatively easy to source by date, by location andwhatsoever. In one word, if you really mean it, PLEASE be the earlybird.
Q2: My CV looks great, and I come from a target school. But, why I am not selected even for the first round?
First & Simple answer: there are too many people sharing your background.
Second
, refer to question one.
Third, assume you are an HR and rethink answer one. Here raises a few issues,
A.
have you customized your CV/cover letter title to stand out of the dozen of “your background” candidates?
B.
have you done your research and tailor-made the application package?
C.
Did you miss anything, for example, some supporting materials to make the life of your HR easier? If file “x” is missing, no one (except a few) will bother to call back and chase you for that. HR is human being ; we are all human being.
Forth,
howmany openings are available in such a market place? Some internalinterviews (i.e. from eFinancialCareers) might serve to give you someinformation as to how many roles are available for a specific function_If the region or the dept are not hiring, you can just cross it off.

Other relevant tricks on job hunting will be extended across the following sessions.
I would skip the up sides and down sides of FT role and only focus on the internship as you are smart enough to tell the myth and vice versa.
The “Good”
Of course, first thing, as an intern, you are flexible. You can opt to pull a 24/7 week (if possible), work for multiplecompanies in a set period or later resign to do anything that interestyou (probably test a start-up? I will post start up with bootstrappingmethod later in another post). As an intern, life is hard too but yourpay might be massively cut for the same value contributed to thecompany. It doesn’t matter -  if only you could get the value youbelieve is beneficial in a lifetime. But be certain that you shouldwork hard, I mean super hard to get what you can get during the shortperiod as you still have to compromise with the “Bad & the Ugly” Imentioned hereafter.
The “Bad & the Ugly”
Asan intern, your firm would treat youdifferently as you might not be working for them in the future. Thatway you may be hidden from the real value (you are forbidden to do anyclient facing job) or touch company confidentiality. Here is the trick- work hard, gain trust from your colleagues & your boss, and letthem deliver significant work load to you, even you as an intern. It isjust for the time being anyway.
In retrospect, when I was an intern, a vivid story might tell howimportant it would be for you to work hard and add real value. Somehowyou might be the last to leave the office and work over time everyday,and work a 7-day week. Once a VP said to me, “Chris, your help wasimmediate, if you were restricted to some important document ormechanism of what we do, let me know.” Then I every time I completed atask, I would be expected to hear the story behind the deal and learntremendously from that point on.

I truly believe everybody is equal and we won’t score differently onany kind of aptitude test. School paper results are liar. It just helpsto source a selcted group of safter candidates. Provided that you workhard and gain the hard plus soft skills as in my latter mentiionedparts, you will be rewarded equal value, the value more superior thanwhat a FT hire could get. So please pull in 200% efforts.

The next thing is your pay. It doesn’t really matter if you canafford your life in the city, and at the same time (a more importantfactor here) the payroll is at least enough to cover all your necessarynetworking activity costs in the city. I will blog more about it in thefuture as this is another vast topic.
I spent quite a few words explain the “Bad & the Ugly” but it all points to the final “Goods” you can get. Besides all above, my version of a very important mindset for any successful people would be, and always be, try to look at the UP sides even if you are stressed, you are being laid off, you are severely indebted. Everything has its UP sides, if you can realize and keep the positive mindset, good things would come.

Back to Table of Content

Due to time constraint, the whole content is still pending yet. You can also subscribe to this topic for future update notification.

Declaimer: I am neither an HR nor a career advisor_What I say is my own stuff and not affiliated with any of the companiesI worked or am working for. All the thoughts on this site are mine. Mycompany and its affiliated and personnel are not affiliated with thisblog in any way. If you appreciate and would like to forward thecontent, please kindly link back to the original source.
+10
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

项目经理

发表于 2009-1-29 14:14 |显示全部楼层
最近没看到Chris Thoughts更新,故转其另外一篇写的很精辟的文章穿插一下:

Conducting an email takes time, but it is better than making a livephone call most of the time. Simply, in an email, people will statethings in a more logical ways. We would prefer to get 50 emails per daythan to receive 50 phone calls.

Good business is predicated on clear and effective communication andemail is the primary mode by which business is conducted. Yetcorporations, government agencies and educational institutions stand onthe sidelines and do little to train workers and students on thefundamentals of email etiquette.

So before sending out your next email, spare one minute on the 10 checks I come up with,

1. Have you customized your First Name & your family name, your company info and etc in a more standard form?This helps people to put you in outlook contact without editing, and know the first glance whom the email is from.

2. Are you only using plain text, or only black and white color in your content?
Use rich html, and use dark blue or other color to make others thinkyour attention to detail. Life is good, you will be remembered even bythis.

Added bonus: some people only use plain text to read email,meaning your effort of using html is ignored. To play it safe undersome circumstance, avoid using too much html as it would creat a mass,if not more under the plain text content.

3. How much time do you waste decoding a poorly written email?
Step in others' shoes and think what's your first impression whilereading the first line of the email. So do it like doing a standardpress release for your own company. The tag line, the first sense, andthe first paragraph raises your readers' interest.

Added bonus: also think about doing a phone call though email is normally a good starting point.

4. You did think about splitting content into different paragraphs,but have you thought about also using a few bullet points (also withthe key sentence in bold font weight) to tell your content?
Use a consulting mindset over this. Think your receivers are yourclients and they have only one minute to hear your pitch. That's youremail.

5. How often do you use email to say one or two words, such as "OK", "fine" or one or two lines?
This is not professional, and not nice to your buddies. You'd better enrich your content.

6. How often do you proofread an email before sending it?
Modern email system has made things easier, for example, use Gmail's"check" function. If you don't have this in your mail system, copy& paste it somewhere to proofread.

7. How often do you send a email with 5+ attachments withoutzipping it? Would it be better if your attached files are in PDF format?
Meaning the receiver would have to download it for 5+ times. Do youenjoy clicking on the attachment files for 5+ times. But, ifattachments have different usages and some are optional fordownloading, do the 5+ attachments.

PDF avoid that your receiver will suffer from font missing problem,and PDF looks neater in a way that people would prefer to open thanany  other file type.

Added bonus: be sure that some file converted by higherversion PDF software can not be open by normal version PDF software. Socheck the compatibility if possible.

8. Do you reply to a message within 24 hours? What if you can't do it within 24 hours?
You may not carry a BlackBerry, but it is not a good excuse to skipor reply email late. 95% of people might reply late. You are going tomake a difference, so do it within 24 hours, 1 hour or even sooner if possible.  In a lot of scenarios, it even means the "live" or "dead" of a potential deal.

If you can do it in time, Tim Ferriss' s tip might help. Go check it out.

9. Have you considered when to add contact information, and how to structure it?
Rich contact could lead to unexpected business, but addressing itunderneath every email might look dull. You can consider by 5-fold ofsend and reply, the contact plus the disclaimer info would make thecontent hard to read by others.

So do two things,
1) Be wise and selective to use rich contact info and disclaimer
2) Use horizontal format instead of vertical one. For example,

Use:
Your Name | Job Title | Division | Company Name
Phone: ### | Email: ###

Instead of:
Your Name
Job Title
Division, Company
Contact Info

You know what it means.

10. How often do you receive an email with an attachment without a properly structured title, or with no text in the email body?Self-explanatory.
+10
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

项目经理

发表于 2009-2-1 10:34 |显示全部楼层
4# silktree

好的,不用客气。有空多交流学习。
+10
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

好友

积分

项目经理

发表于 2009-2-7 06:16 |显示全部楼层
7# stanbeck

最近没看到那个主题更新哦,但在三楼更新了一篇同类型很有用的。
+10
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册 QQ登录

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

应届生微信小程序|应届生求职网YingJieSheng.COM ( 沪ICP备12015550号-13 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 19:01